Read our GCSE study guide review
Scholastic GCSE Study Guides
Reviewed by John Dabell, Teach Secondary 4th January 2019
GCSE 9-1 AQA Study Guides for AQA GCSE English Literature
- A comprehensive GCSE English Literature toolkit of up-to-date study guides
- Uses a stepped, active approach to revision and practice
- Includes lots of expertly crafted practice questions dovetailed to the new exam format
- A free downloadable app for on-the-go revision
Nothing can prepare students for their GCSE English Literature exams more effectively than knowing the texts inside out, so investing some quality time in re-reading them during revision is essential. But learners need more than that. They require guidance and an active approach to revision so they can really get to know their way round the texts.
Scholastic’s new series of GCSE 9-1 AQA Study Guides has been specifically created for the closed book AQA GCSE English Literature examination. The books cover the chronology of the set texts impressively, focusing on key events, timeline, character trees, themes, context, language and structure, and are both wonderfully illustrated and immensely readable.
This clever approach enables students
to notice how events follow on from each
other and helps them clearly identify
pivotal moments in a text, whilst deeply
considering who the key characters are,
their motivations, and what they add to
Also included is world class targeted revision and practice, with lots of specific tips and tricks on how to excel in the exam. These include punchy and purposeful techniques that get students to ‘Snap it! Nail it! Do it! Stretch it! Define it! and Review it!’. Learners are supported to understand what is required in the exam, retain key facts, consolidate their knowledge and understanding, and get to grips with the detail of tricky vocabulary and subject terminology.
If you don’t want your students to lose the plot then these resources are most definitely the ones to choose. They make studying forensic, insightful and critically reflective.
- Superb groundwork for AQA English Literature exams
- Clear and chronological to deepen students’ understanding
- Moves beyond rote learning by promoting concept building, maths thinking and mastery
- Helps students visualise the person behind the text
- Supports students talk about the ways in which writers communicate their ideas to the reader
- Gives students an appreciation that exact words matter
You are looking for erudite study guides for helping students get under the skin of high-quality, challenging and substantial texts.