The Case of the Chaos Monster London tour
Take a tour of elemental London from The Case of the Chaos Monster, with research from author Patrice Lawrence.
1. Millwall on the Isle of Dogs was named after the windmills that were built there to grind wheat to flour. There were 12 of them by 1740.
2. There really was a Potters Ferry carrying passengers from Greenwich to the Isle of Dogs, but strangely, it wasn’t owned by a Mr Potter.
3. The Panyer Boy is a carving of a child sitting on a basket on the wall of Caffe Nero next to St Paul’s Tube station. No one really knows its origins, but it is hundreds of years old.
4. There’s been a Mary-le-Bow church on Cheapside, in London, for nearly 1000 years. Its bell is the ‘Great Bell of Bow’ in the ‘Oranges and Lemons’ nursery rhyme. The enormous gold dragon weather vane was designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
5. Nannerl Mozart and her family did rent rooms in a house on Frith Street in Soho in 1765 while they were touring Europe. There’s a blue plaque on the wall.
6. The Monument to the Great Fire of London really has a dragon engraved on is side. The Golden Cherub of Pye Lane marks the place that the fire ended.
You can find Patrice Lawrence on Twitter @LawrencePatrice.