If you’re under 16, please get your parent/guardian’s permission before using our website or speak to your teacher if you have any concerns.
If you want to ask us any questions or contact us for any other reason, you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Scholastic Limited, Westfield Road, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 0RA, United Kingdom.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK regulator for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please speak to your teacher in the first instance who will be able to speak to us.
It is important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please let your teacher know if the information relating to you changes during your relationship with us.
2. INFORMATION WE MIGHT HAVE ABOUT YOU
We use different types of information about you. We usually get this information from you when you use the Site or our Services. The information we use is listed below:
- Information about you, like your full name, the name of your school, your year group and your Lexile level/reading ability;
- Other information about you, like your username and password for our Site, books you have read, books we have recommended to you and information relating to any competitions or quizzes you take part in on our Site;
- Technical information your computer, tablet or phone tells us, like the device you use to access our Site; and
- Information about your visit to our Site and how you use our Services, like which pages you visited, any searches you made on the Site and other sites that you go to from our Site. Some of this information is provided by cookies (little bits of computer software) that operate on our Site. For more information about cookies, how they work, and the ones we use on our site, please see our Cookies Policy below.
We do not collect or use any of your sensitive information, like information about your health or your gender or your race.
If you fail to provide information
If you do not provide information when we ask for it, this may mean we cannot provide you with access to the Site or allow you to use our Services in the way you might want.
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information where it is fair for us to use it or (where you are under the age of 13) we have your parent/guardian/carer’s permission to use it. No matter how old you are, we have asked your school to get your parent/guardian/carer’s permission for you to use the Site and our Services.We use your information to:
- Set up your profile on our Site and on any Services you are accessing through the Site.
- Enable you to use our Site and the Services, including telling us what books you have read, seeing what other books you might like to read and taking part in competitions or quizzes;
- Let you know of any changes to the way we use your information and to talk with you about any requests you make;
- Provide technical support to you as and when you need it;
- Study how you use the Site and the Services;
- Make sure we are running our business effectively; and
- Make sure the Site and the Services are working properly.
Change of Purpose
We will only use your information for the reasons we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason. If we need to use your information for an unrelated reason, we will let you know and explain why.
4. WHERE WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We share your information where it is fair for us to use it or (where you are under the age of 13) when we have your parent/guardian/carer’s permission to use it. We may share your information with:
- Other members of Scholastic;
- Members of your school, such as your teacher and your school administrator;
- Your parent, carer or guardian, for example where they have chosen to use a parent’s version of the Site or the Services;
- Businesses who help us run our business (like IT and other administration services);
- Businesses such as lawyers and accountants who help us run our business, and with regulators.
5. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
We may need to transfer your information to other parts of the world outside of the UK, including outside of Europe. Whenever we transfer your information out of the UK, we ensure a similar degree of protection is given to it.
6. DATA SECURITY
We take the security of information very seriously and have put in place steps to protect your information.
7. DATA RETENTION
We will only hold on to your information for as long as we need to for the reasons we have given above. We may keep it for a longer period if we think we might need it to defend a legal claim.
We will hold on to your information for as long as you are a student at your school and we allow your school to use our Site and our Services and then one year afterwards unless you or your school ask us to remove/delete your information.
8. YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
You have legal rights to:
- obtain a copy of the information we hold about you;
- ask us to correct any information that is incomplete or incorrect;
- ask us to delete your information;
- ask us not to process your information in a certain way because you think it is unfair;
- change your mind and withdraw your permission to the way we use your information; and
- complain to the regulator for the protection of personal information in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office (www.ico.org.uk).
Effective Date: 22 September, 2022